Do you want to live a life of travel and adventure but don’t know how to go about it?
I’ve been doing it since 2003 and I hope this website can help and inspire others to do the same!
Hey there, I’m Bert!
I like to say I live a life of travel and adventure because this is a travel blog. Truth is, what I live is a life of freedom.
Inspired? Pin it for Later↓
What’s the difference between a life of travel and a life of freedom?
A LIFE OF TRAVEL means you are traveling, but you may still have to work or do other things you don’t want to do.
A LIFE OF FREEDOM means you are able to do the things you want, when you want, how you want. If what you choose to do is travel (like me) then great. But in truth, once you have a life of freedom you can do whatever you want with your time.
So although this blog focuses on a life of travel, I hope you all actually aim for a life of freedom.
Many people think that being able to live a life of travel and/or freedom requires having lots of money. While money does play a part, you don’t need as much as most people think. There are other more important aspects too. Such as health, safety, self-reliance, minimalism, and more.
It took me until 2015 to get my life of freedom. It was a long road and I made lots of mistakes along the way, but it was definitely worth it. I hope by passing on what I have learned, and continue to learn, makes your journey much easier.
My Favorite Thing About a Life of Freedom
… is not having to be anywhere! No alarm clock to wake up to, no job I HAVE to go to, and no boss to answer to.
I love having the freedom to:
- Travel the world, and then stop for as long as I want when I find a place I like.
- Wake up to the sounds of nature, and then take a mid-morning or afternoon siesta.
- Work when motivated, or go hiking to a secret waterfall instead.
- Be healthy. Unstressed, well-fed, and energetic.
- Learn new things and gain new skills, turning myself into a superhero! haha.
- Spend time with people that make me happy.
Of course, once you achieve a life of freedom you can use the time as you want. You may even choose to work in the job you are currently in. The difference will be that you are working because you WANT to, not because you have to.
My Journey to Freedom
I wasn’t born into wealth (far from it) and I got into debt as soon as I was old enough to borrow money from the bank. For my first 10 years living a life of travel, I made money with odd jobs. Working in cafe’s, security, summer camps, etc. and all while still paying off debt. I was living a life of travel, but I was definitely not free.
One day I was freezing my butt off in a small town in the north of China. I decided that I was sick of having to get up and go to work so I began creating a life of freedom. One where I could do and go wherever I wanted, whenever I wanted – someplace warm!
I started to focus on things I was passionate about. My aim was to build residual income streams around these things. First I created Survive Travel and Survive Travel Publications. Later on, I also built the Survival Fitness Plan.
2015 was the year that I was finally able to live and travel off my residual income streams. There’s still a lot of stuff I want to learn and share so I continue to work on it.
I choose to believe in the law of attraction. Generosity breeds reciprocity. The way I like to give back is by sharing what I learn with others. Here are some posts with my favorite tips on creating a life of travel:
- All my favorite travel resources in one place.
- How to find the best value flights and/or accommodation possible (links to the resources page.)
- A packing list for world travel. Be warned, I’m a minimalist.
- A simple method to work out your travel budget.
- Tips for living and working abroad.
- Three steps to create a life of travel.
- How I created a life of endless travel and how you can too.
- One of my all-time favorite posts is this opinion piece about the traveler’s spirit.
- Ways of being an ethical traveler.
Well, that’s it for now. Do you want to create a life of travel? Share your thoughts in the comments and share this with your friends.