Minimalist Packing List for World Travel – Updated April 2018
In this post, I will present to you what I consider to be the ultimate minimalist packing list for world travel.
I travel the world with <7kg of luggage split up into two lightweight "pack-away" daypacks. I travel this light for two main reasons:
- It’s easier to carry
- It qualifies as carry-on luggage
This post contains Amazon affiliate links.
Some things to note:
- This packing list complies with most airline carry-on only guidelines. An exception being the no laptop when traveling to some countries to/from the US rule. Also, the weight may be a little over for some budget airlines but I’ve never had a problem. Most of the time it’s never checked, and the few rare times it has been, it’s only just been over the limit and I was let on anyway. If I had to I could just wear more clothes and stuff more pockets to get under the limit.
- I spend the majority of my time in warm climates. I can survive in cold climates with the items on this list, but if I find myself having to stay in a cold climate longer than “passing through” then I buy (or borrow) some extra clothes for comfort’s sake, e.g, a warm jacket. I discard them when I move on.
- I dont carry formal clothes. Fortunately for me, anything that requires formal clothing is not really my scene. In exceptional cases (such as a wedding or a funeral) I borrow or buy what’s needed and discard them when I move on.
- I’m a guy. In general, girls need more stuff, although I’ve met a few that travel with less weight than me so it can definitely be done. Usually, it is because they don’t carry a laptop, which is my heaviest item.
Ultimate Minimalist Packing List for World Travel
The contents change from bag to bag depending on what I am doing. Here is a complete list of everything I carry.
- Emergency poncho
- Lightweight Jacket
- Emergency Rain-pants (cheap ones)
- Waterproof socks
- Lip Balm
- Plastic spoon
- Hand cleanser
- Toilet Paper
- Water (<500ml)
- Personal medication
- Survival Keyring (flashlight, pendrive, paracord, compass)
- Laptop (13″ Mac Air)
- Cords and chargers
- Power bank
- Universal adapter
- Notepad and pens
- Yoga mat
- Rain cover
- 1 x Shoes (minimalist/barefoot technology)
- 1 x Sandals (minimalist/barefoot technology)
- 1 x Long pants
- 1 x Thermals (Top and Bottom)
- Socks and underwear
- 3 x Shorts
- 2 x T-shirts
- 2 x Singlets
- Rash vest and skin shorts
- Swimming goggles
- Waterproof bag
- Zip lock bags
- Toiletries (toothpaste, toothbrush, floss, coconut oil (1 x 100ml bottles), soap, shaver, Tiger balm, talcum/baby powder, nail clipper)
- Travel towel
- Sawyer water bottle (with built in filter)
- Travel survival kit (sewing kit, band-aids, lock-picks, magnesium stick, USD, paracord, tweezers, electrical tape, plastic bag, measuring tape, passport photocopy, duct tape, bandaids, immodium, ibuprofen, Benadryl.)
- Survival blanket
- When boarding a plane I wear shoes and long pants since these are my two heaviest items. I find airports and planes a bit cold anyway.
- The lock-picks and magnesium stick are probably not TSA approved, but they are so small I’ve only ever had them confiscated once (the lock picks).
What do you include in your ultimate minimalist packing list for world travel? Tell us all about it (or anything else you want to say) in the comments 😀 .